Monday, September 23, 2013

"the physicalization of intangible things (such as feelings, memories)"

p. 15
The days of my youth, as I look back on them, seem to fly away from me in a flurry of pale repetitive scraps like those morning snow storms of used tissue paper that a train passenger sees whirling in the wake of the observation car.

As he describes the memories that he has of his youth, he physicalizes them into tissue papers.  Right after this sentences, he uses the word "sanitary" to describes relationships with women, a word often associated with medical or home care cleaning products, such as tissue paper.  I'm not really sure what the point or the inspiration for this imagery was.  Maybe he was sitting in a train.


p. 28
A mounting fury was suffocating me.

As Humbert finds out Valerie has another man, he paints the picture of his fury as something with an ability to suffocate, a physicalization of an overwhelming emotion.  I can definitely agree with the physicalization in this case for it really emphasizes the amount of effect his fury is having on him.


p.18
...inly, I was consumed by a hell furnace of localized lust for every passing nymphet whom as a law-abiding poltroon I never dared approach.

Humbert has been describing the art of spotting a nymphet, and how long it takes to master the said art in the previous paragraphs, and then talks about his normal relationships he's had with terrestrial women, followed by an inward lust for nymphets physicalized into a furnace.

No comments:

Post a Comment